The command’s Public Relation Officer, Olabisi Ilobanafor, who said this during the visit of the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 11, Femi Omolaja, to the site, said names of the arrested individuals would not be made public yet.
She said, “We are working hard on the case and very soon, we shall bring perpetrators of the deadly and inhuman act to book.
“Already, we are making headway because we have arrested eight people who are linked to the act. We will like to keep their identities secret for now because investigation is still going on.”
Speaking also on the progress made so far, Omojola assured the residents of the state that the police would not rest until those who ran the death camp were arrested and prosecuted.
He added that his visit was on the directive of the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar.
He said, “A thorough investigation is ongoing and we don’t want to disclose any identity of those arrested in order not to hinder our investigation. I thank the people of this state for their cooperation with the police and patience. I also want to urge them all to be sensitive to what happens in their environment and report any suspicious movement to security agents immediately.”
Omolaja however warned that people should not take laws into their own hands, urging them to also desist from attacking mad people in the name of seeking revenge.
On the directive that the demolition of the buildings at the site should be stopped, the AIG said it was necessary as it would aid police investigation, adding that forensic experts must be allowed to evaluate the place before the demolition.
Also speaking on the attack of mad people by angry youths since the discovery was made, Ilobanefor confirmed the death of some of the mad men in the hands of the youths, warning that anyone caught attacking mad people would be arrested and prosecuted.
Osun visits victims in hospital
The Osun State Government on Thursday visited two of the victims of the Soka forest of horror who are indigenes of the state.
The two were part of the victims receiving treatment at the Adeoyo State Hospital in Yemetu, Ibadan, Oyo State.
The particulars of Wale Atoyebi and Funmilayo Olarewaju who are indigenes of the state were collected by the visiting officials.
Leader of the team, Biyi Odunlade, who is Governor Aregbesola’s Special Adviser on Youth and Sport, said the state had the police permission to take the two persons back home.
He, however, added that the government would confirm the claims of the victims before taking them home.
Olarewaju said she came from Ode-Omu in the state.
Court remands seven for arson
A magistrate court in Ibadan on Thursday remanded seven persons at the Agodi Prison for setting fire on a company’s gate and damaging the fence of another at the Soka area after the discovery of decomposing bodies in the forest.
The seven persons are Abdul Jelil Ayoade (28), Ashaka Oluwatosin (19), Abeeb Afolabi (20), Shuaib Abdul Lamid (25), Olagoke Afeez (21), Nuru Alimi (20) and Sodiq Asimiyu (21).
Another suspect, Muktal Ganniyu, was however granted bail by Chief Magistrate, E. A Idowu, in the sum of N20,000.
They were arraigned on five counts of felony, arson, willful and unlawful damage contrary to and punishable under Section 443 of the Criminal Code Cap 38 Vol. 11 Laws of Oyo State of Nigeria 2000 as well as Section 415 of the Criminal Code Cap 38, Vol. 11 Laws of Oyo State Nigeria 2000.
The suspects were also charged with unlawful assembly.
The charge sheet number MI/389C/2014 stated that they had contravened Section 69 of the Criminal Code.
The magistrate ruled that the case be adjourned till April 3 for further hearing.